Science Matters: Building a Presence!
Become a Point of Contact (PoC)
As many of you know, Science Matters is an electronic network that originated through a grant from NSTA to STANYS. We have been providing professional development and grant updates for over ten years. The purpose of the initiative was to reduce isolation for teachers and to provide them with timely information.
This electronic network is not the same as the Oneonta List serve, in that it is a one way means of communication. I post items that are sent to me for distribution.
This network can be very useful to STANYS sections. Just send me information about workshops, meetings, etc. and I can direct that information just to your section and not all over the state. I can send by section and by demographics.
There are more than 6,000 schools in this state and we have 2059 Points of Contact. We would really like to have each school represented with a Point of Contact, so please consider signing up. It does not take a lot of time and the only expectation is for you to receive the e-mail announcements and to share them with your colleagues. The success of this network requires all buildings and all teachers to be represented. The following directions will allow you to sign up.
1. Go to http://bap.nsta.org
2. On the left side of the opening page, click on “Become a Point of Contact”;
3. Step 1: Select State;
4. From the menu, select "New York";
5. Step 2: Enter only your school's Zip in the first box (no other info in other boxes) & click "Find Schools";
6. Step 3: Look just below “Find Schools” for the listing of all schools with that ZIP, & click on your
school’s name. (If your school’s name does not appear, send a message to Nancy Ridenour
be added to the list of schools with that ZIP);
7. Step 4: Complete template of first page about General Info. & Click "Next";
8. Complete template on second page about Demographics. Under Demographics for Grades
and for Subjects;
9. When completed, click on “Submit”.
a. If you are representing all the teachers of science in your building, be sure to include all the
grades, and all science subjects for teachers whom you are representing, not just what
b. If you are representing a subset of teachers in your building, be sure to include just those grades
and subjects of teachers you represent, not just what you teach.
c. If you are representing just yourself, include just the grade(s) and subject(s) that you teach.
Thanks for volunteering to be a PoC!