Become a Member or Renew Your Membership
Membership Dues: Membership begins the month you join and ends one year later at the end of the month.
|OPTION 1: Credit Card
Sign up online with a credit card.
|OPTION 2: Check
Mail in a membership application using our Downloadable Membership Form
Please make your check payable to STANYS or include your credit card information. Mail to:
PO Box 2121
Liverpool, New York 13089-2121
|OPTION 3: Purchase Order To inquire about paying using a Purchase Order, please contact our Membership person at
|OPTION 4: Group Discount
A 20% Group Discount is available for a group of 5 or more teachers from the same District. A completed membership form referencing the School District Purchase Order or group payment will be needed for each teacher. All will be enrolled at the same time. The memberships will begin the month the PO is received or extended for current members. The membership for the individuals enrolled cannot be transferred or refunded. For more information or to make arrangements, please contact our Membership person at:
OPTION 5: NSTA - STANYS Joint Membership
Regular membership – is available to any classroom teacher at pre-school, elementary, middle/junior, high school, or college/university levels. The annual rate is $44. A two-year membership is $82.
Associate membership – is available to persons who are employed by museums, government agencies, businesses, and community members who share the organization’s interest in quality science education. The annual rate is $44. A two-year membership is $82.
Retiree membership – is available to anyone who has been a regular member for the previous five years, has taught for at least 20 years or is 55 years of age, and is retired. The annual rate is $23. A two-year membership is $42.
Student (pre-service) membership – Students enrolled in an education program (under or post graduate) are entitled to a complimentary STANYS membership while enrolled. Each membership is valid for one year. A letter on institutional letterhead by a college faculty member or a cooperating teacher verifying the student's eligibility must accompany this application annually. Use our downloadable Pre-service student membership form. We encourage students to renew this complimentary membership by submitting a recommendation letter each year.
- An excellent annual state conference. We offer many workshops for all teaching levels and disciplines, vendors with a wealth of new products, stargazing, socials, keynote speakers, and much more.
- Five annual issues of the STANYS Newsletter. We bring you updates from NYSED, conference information, professional growth opportunities, and other news you can use.
- The Science Teachers Bulletin, a publication featuring articles written by and for members. Philosophical issues, educational methodologies, and information about STANYS Fellows are presented.
- Networking with other professionals in your discipline for friendship and collaboration.
- Statewide representation through the STANYS Board of Directors. Your elected Section officers conduct the business of the organization and voice your views.
- Access to the STANYS Directors at Large (DAL) and Section Subject Area Representatives (SAR). These leaders provide updates and present workshops at the Section and state levels.
- Legislative updates at the state and national level. No Child Left Behind legislation will continue to influence us at the state and local levels.
- A voice in legislative affairs that affect science teachers and the teaching of science. STANYS brings our collective concerns and suggestions to NYSED or the state government.
- Section meetings and activities. Sections of STANYS provide news, workshops, and opportunities for local leadership. Some Sections offer regional educational events for students.
- Recognition through awards such as Excellence in Teaching for Outstanding Elementary, Middle, and High School Science Educators, Fellows New Teacher Conference Award, STANYS Fellow, and Section Service.
- Information for you and your students about the STANYS sponsored state-level Science Congress and other events such as Science Olympiad.
- STANYS Foundation grants to support enrichment opportunities for students or teachers.
- Opportunities for leadership in the organization at the Section and state levels.
- Representation through elected leadership to the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA).
- Timely announcements via Building a Presence, a nationwide NSTA initiative. Targeted electronic communication in each school building is being organized through Points of Contact (PoC).
Information about STANYS and summary of benefits may be found in the STANYS TRIFOLD APRIL 2014. We encourage you to print copies and distribute widely among New York science educators.