Fellows New Teacher Conference Award
A STANYS Award Nomination Form should be submitted and approved before a Letter of Application is sent.
The Fellows Endowment Fund, created in 1984, enabled the STANYS Fellowship Committee to establish a conference award for new teachers starting in 1992. The award supports the attendance of a second through fifth year teacher at the annual STANYS Conference. Room, board (standard double rate), and registration (but not transportation) are covered by this award.
We are pleased that the fund has been benefiting promising new educators for a number of years. We hope their association with STANYS will continue to be part of a lifelong commitment to professional development.
STANYS 2015 Recepient
Letter of application and letterof recommendation may be mailed or e-mailed and must be postmarked by July 1.
STANYS Fellowship Committee
1030 9th St
West Babylon, NY 11704
Applicants will be notified of their status early in September.
If you are a new teacher, we welcome your application. If you are a veteran, please encourage your new colleagues to apply.
To be selected, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Has commenced the second though fifth year of full time teaching in September.
- Has never attended the STANYS Conference.
- Is a member of STANYS (upon application).
- Will attend this year’s full conference.
- Has submitted an application letter and a recommendation from a principal or department leader.
In the letter of application, the teacher should address the following questions:
- Why do you wish to attend the conference?
- How will this award help you?
- Please include your home and school addresses, phone numbers, e-mail address, grade level and courses taught. Enclose a STANYS membership form and check if necessary.
The letter of recommendation from the principal or department leader should include comments concerning the following:
- How will the applicant’s attendance at the conference benefit your district?
- Does s/he show evidence for a promising career in science teaching?
- If the award is not received, will the teacher be allowed to participate in the conference?
- Please verify that the applicant is entering the second through fifth year of teaching and will be able to attend the full conference.